Monday, July 2, 2007

Moab, Utah



The desert has always felt like a magical place for me. It's a place of such extreems. Exquisit beauty in one of the harshest environments on earth. Everything that lives there inspires amazement as they seem to survive on almost no water most of the time, under the unrelenting sun, cold to hot temperatures that can vary 40 to 50 degrees Farenheit in one day and has very little in the ways of protection. There are countless colours and shapes that can be seen in the many deserts of the southwest US. I have visited Grand Canyon, Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Craters of the Moon National Monument and Death Valley. This is Arches National Park which is approximately a 15 minute drive to Moab, the closest town.



I was there in early July this year so if you want to do any hiking at all, it's a good idea to start early because by noon the temperature rises to over 100 degrees. It's very dry and the sun is unforgiving. This is the view from Partition Arch.



In the tiny town of Moab is the Moab Brewery. I had the steak salad which was much more than I expected it to be. The steak was so tender that you hardly had to chew it and seasoned ever so lightly. The salad part was made up of mixed greens, roasted red peppers, Spanish onion and topped with a vinigrette.

Like other breweries I've visied blind, the best way to get a quick survery is to get the tasting tray. I took to the Scorpion Pale Ale and the Elephant Hill Hefeweizen. The one thing about finding your favourite in a tasting tray is that I usually don't have enough sobber left in me to order a pint.



For more information please see this link http://www.themoabbrewery.com/microbrews.html

No comments: