Friday, July 6, 2007

Beer Has the Power to Unite



It's amazing how people who were complete strangers can connect quickly if given the right circumstances. I was at the end of a two week vacation in the United States. We had gone from Seattle, WA to Boulder, CO covering over 2575 miles (that's approximately 4120 kilometers for my metric friends). It's always sad when you know you're on the second last day of holidays. The last day is always spent travelling home so it feels even worse. This trip was going to end with a bang. The morning was spent at bike shops. One shop was called Vecchio's where we met a gentleman who used to race in southern Ontario. He was familiar with courses and riders that only a small group of people would know. Beer Guide, who also used to race was familiar with many of the same places and people. Small world, eh?

After noon, we went to Avery. This was a much anticipated visit as we had already sampled their Maharaja in the past. (See blog entry on May 1, 2007.) Having checked on when their tasting room was open, we knew that it was just a matter of finding them. If anyone plans on visiting, look up their website for a map to their brewery & tasting room. It is not the easiest place to find - located in the rear of an industrial area off the main road. The search was well worth it! We were not alone. Some were there already sampling and chatting around a table. Soon others arrived. I offered to take a picture of a nice bunch of guys as a momento of their visit. You see, it's becomes apparent to me the folks that are really into beer and those who are not. They seemed serious about their beer. I like the serious ones. I think it was Vincent who commented how that was a nice offer but they had their own digital camera. I took their picture and asked if they wanted to send me a copy, I would post it on my blog. To my delight, they did.


From left to right are James, Cibi, Jacob, Matt, and Vincent.

I hope you boys are well and enjoying some Avery beers for me. And if any of you are ever in Toronto, I would be happy to show you around our beer haunts. Cheers!!

No comments: