Sunday, May 20, 2007

Brunch Club

I go to brunch with a small group of friends one Sunday each month. Each of us takes a turn at picking the restaurant. Today we met at the Sauter's Inn(109 Old Kingston Road, Ajax). Brunch was good. I had the Eggs Benedict which was highly recommended.

One of the first things pointed out to me was that they have Hacker Pshorr on tap. Unfortunately, alcohol cannot be served until 11am on Sundays. I tried to stall long enough to get one but then someone jokingly said, "You know you have a problem if you're willing to wait that long till the bar can serve." That didn't really get to me but I realized that I would be drinking alone while everyone watched. So it'll have to wait until I can swing back this way. It's close to my sister's place so hopefully that won't be too far in the future.

German wheat beer was one of the first favorite styles of beer when I began to realize that the world of beers is made up of more than Molson's, Labatts or any of those large, generic, tasteless, characterless, over-marketed breweries. It is an easy to drink style of beer with a clean, thirst-quenching quality that makes it perfect for hot summer days. Some German wheat beers I have enjoyed are Konig Ludwig, Schneider Weisse, Edelweiss, Ayinger, Erdinger, Paulaner andSchofferhofer. I can see how it goes with German sausage or schnitzel because it is a contrast to heavy foods. Of course it takes time and lots of tasting to develop a taste for the other end of the spectrum of beers, more "heavy" beers like Imperial IPA's or Porters or dark English ales. But the journey is the interesting part.

For more information on this beer style, please see: http://www.germanbeerguide.co.uk/hefeweiz.html

No comments: