Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Walnut Fix



After enjoying a bottle of Maudite (http://www.unibroue.com/english.cfm), I took a sip of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale (http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith_nut_brown_ale.html). But something strange happened - the Nut Brown Ale tasted sour. I had another sip and again I got a very distinct sourness. I've had the Nut Brown Ale a few times before I had no memory of it tasting like this at all.

To try to 'correct' Beer Guide suggested eating walnuts. It worked perfectly. I think what happened was the bitter skin of the walnuts re-set my palate. The Nut Brown Ale had only tasted sour because my tongue had had something much sweeter in comparision just before. By eating something bitter, my tonge had a new frame of reference and the Nut Brown now tasted sweeter in comparision.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences when mixing beers in a session?

4 comments:

lrgkatt said...

hi bier goddess,
yes indeed i have experienced 'funny' taste sensations when i put one food or beverage in my mouth and then another. lots of times certain foods make my beer more enjoyable but sometimes not. it's great to experiment and professional beer tastings that include food pairings were so imformative (and fun!)
your blog is inspiring me to be more critical when i take part in something new so that i may report back in specifics...
your fellow beer-er (in progress)

Anonymous said...

Bier Goddess-you rock!!

Love your blog.

Eagerly awaiting your
next posting.
I'll raise a pint and
make a toast to the B.G.
when I read about your
next beer adventure.

Bier Goddess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bier Goddess said...

bgroupie,
Thank you for encouraging words! I look forward your future visits on the blog. Have you had any noteworthy beer adventures of your own?

lrgkatt,
What is your favourite beer/food pairing?