Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rogue in Portland

Rogue Pub in Portland, OR (1339 NW Flanders, Portland 97209)

My love affair with Rogue started a couple of years ago when the LCBO got some of their products as seasonal features. From what I understand, Rogue will not be shipping to us in Ontario due to the mound of paperwork and labling required by the LCBO. Sad, but it does not surprise me. Who would want to deal with so much work for such a small market? The whole state of California has the same population as all of Canada. Rogue is in no short supply of clients so why would they want to jump through hoops for us? I don't really blame them. This means that I will have to make the occasional trip to Buffalo to get my Rogues.

This was the second Rogue Pub I've had the pleasure of visiting. (See previous posting on February 3, 2007 for the visit to Rogue in San Francisco.) But for Bier Guide, it was the first. We walked into a quiet bar during the after lunch but before dinner time of day. We had made the side trip to Portland for the specific purpose of visiting Rogue. The air was thick with anticipation. Okay, that's just our thirst talking.

The taps - aren't they beautiful?!! (Click on the photo for details of the draught list.)

Here, take a closer look.


My tasting tray.

It's a real treat to have so many of the Rogue as draughts. The Hazelnut Nectar truely shined. I've had it in bottles but the draught with it's freshness and subtle nutty, port-like, smokey flavours really cannot be put into words. A new one for me that day was the Honey Orange Wheat. I didn't expect much from it but it proved to be well executed. Plus, I hate missing an opportunity to try something new. As the afternoon worn on, I also tried a shot of their Spruce Gin. Rogue is also distilling three rums: Hazelnut Spice Rum, Dark Rum and White Rum. (http://www.roguespirits.com/spirits.html)

Delicious nibblies to compliment the beers. It doesn't hurt to have a bit to eat so I don't get too drunk, too fast.

The flags of Rogue Nation.

No comments: